Wednesday, June 22, 2011

THERE ARE DAYS I LOVE MY JOB

When I can stay under the bureacratic radar and dodge the ubiquitous political manholes I love my job. I can handle my students' quirks - I have spent a lifetime learning to appreciate my own dysfunctions. I can work with that - people are real. It's creative even if it is emotionally exhausting at times. It's the mindless uncreative aspects of my job that drive me to distraction.

I have had a couple of great days, Aboriginal students yesterday and Graphics and Media students today. Quite different parts of my job but kind of the same. My classes can be rowdy because students turn the radio up loud sometimes when they work. Or we talk and laugh as they work.

I don't really teach art - colour theory, composition, design elements and principles are almost incidental. I trust that given the time, space and support my students will figure out the rest for themselves in their own unique way. I don't really like telling people I am a 'teacher' or a 'lecturer' when they ask what I do for a living. I think I am really just a mentor. It's more of a heart thing than a head thing - even though my head works perfectly well and people do learn stuff. In the end though I care more about what they learn about themselves, that they have confidence and belief in themselves.

Art can be a difficult thing to teach - people are vulnerable. They are exposed because it is not only their technical ability that is out there under scrutiny - it is their beliefs and ideas as well. You have to think on your feet, respond appropriately to ever changing information, juggle what to say when and to whom. Each person will react differently and you have to figure out how to share knowledge respectfully, when to really listen, when to back off and when to push because you know that person needs a timely kick up the arse. Sometimes you get it wrong and have to apologise but that shows that you don't know everything and they will usually forgive you, maybe even like you more for it. These are the things I love about my job. Next week it could all turn to shit - but these last two days have been brilliant.

Google Images:
http://api.ning.com/files/1IAyU7sWF4ys6RHqgl2Ksj2-01*d3rE3QFELQKi-44z9TgOQ0VjQp87HSXoLlTbD90D2Kc4mC4ls0q4D1Fzz8-Z3rnAz20XB/mentor.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

FREE HOT VIDEO 1 | HOT GIRL GALERRY 1

FREE HOT VIDEO 2 | HOT GIRL GALERRY 2

FREE HOT VIDEO 3 | HOT GIRL GALERRY 3

FREE HOT VIDEO 4 | HOT GIRL GALERRY 4

FREE HOT VIDEO 5 | HOT GIRL GALERRY 5

FREE HOT VIDEO 6 | HOT GIRL GALERRY 6

FREE HOT VIDEO 7 | HOT GIRL GALERRY 7

FREE HOT VIDEO 8 | HOT GIRL GALERRY 8

FREE HOT VIDEO 9 | HOT GIRL GALERRY 9

FREE HOT VIDEO 10 | HOT GIRL GALERRY 10

FREE HOT VIDEO 11 | HOT GIRL GALERRY 11